Monday, August 8, 2011

ISDE Finland 2011 Day One!

Day one is officially in the books! We were hoping for epic conditions, but the weather gods apparently hate us this week. It has been cool and mellow weathered the whole last week, but this morning we wake up to a deluge! Everything that was gonna be fun, is now a test of will and attrition. Muddy rocks, mud holes and everything else. We rode about 180 miles, some road, mostly gnarly trails. It was extremely hard to stay on your minute because of the difficulty of the transfer sections. This being my first ISDE day ever, I was a little nervous but extremely excited. I was trying to just pick good lines and be smooth. I had a few problems, but somehow was able to stay on my minute and not drop any trail points. Dozens of racers earned speeding tickets as they were speeding through the streets of Finland, in attempt to try and make up time to stay on their minute. I was lucky enough to stay away from the cops. This is one of the few times I have actually gotten LUCKY with cops. As the race went on, fatigue set in, along with bad decisions. I got stuck in mud three times, got a branch between my rear wheel and my brake rotor, and went over the bars going up hill. Somehow I was able to relax and make to my checkpoint on time. At the end of the day I took full advantage of my 15 minute work period, and I changed a rear tire and made some other adjustments with time to spare. The results from today are up, and I am 10th in the C3 class, super pumped!!! I am also the top C3 club rider for the US!!! Pumped! I am tired and worn out from the day, so tonight will be doing a lot of eating, and preparing for tomorrow!! Thanks for reading! Feel free to ask questions! Thanks,

"Main Jet" Max Gerston

P.S. My mom will be posting pics at www.saycheesephotograghy.smugmug.com

5 comments:

Jim Platner said...

Great job Max!

flyingwoo said...

awesome! congrats!

BrentMorin said...

Awesome dude. Love to hear the day by day. Just remember what we old timers taught u - don't ride over your head and let the race come to u. Godspeed!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Max!! We love reading your postings! Keep up the good work!!

We love you,

Your fan club in Colorado! ABC& The Robs

Jan Gerston said...

Awesome, Max! You sound as if you are riding smart. Top C3 club rider! Congrats! Marshall said you dropped no trail points Woo hoo! You went over the bars?!?!? Time to wrap yourself in bubble wrap. He also said you busted out a mousse-filled tire change in record time...after 180 tough miles. Has your work at Discount Tire improved your tire-changing skill? A mere 15 minutes to maintain your bike after a very tough day of riding seems superhuman! Erin posted a professional-quality video of the opening ceremonies at http://youtu.be/fVpEa0FQyj8. Everyone is so excited for you.

Keep on riding strong!
Love, Aunt Jan

Post a Comment