Saturday, August 13, 2011

ISDE Finland 2011 Day 5/6 and Recap

Well, I am still in shock about the whole event, it was a crazy and unbelievable experience. Day 5 was similar to day 4, but there was only a little bit of rain. I was so excited that it was almost over I was doing wheelies wherever I could! There was people standing on the back roads handing out Sunflowers and cheering for wheelies. High fiving the kids, while on a 5th gear sit down wheelie gets a little sketchy, but its well worth it, they loved it. Day 6 was the final moto, they broke the C3 class into two motos, a slower one, and a faster one. They put me in the faster one and I was up against some heavy Euro competition. I got a crappy 12th place start and started working my way back up. I was able to get up to fourth place by about the 3rd or 4th lap, it was a 7 lap moto. The front three guys were hauling and were way out from, so I pretty much settled into a groove in 4th. I am happy with the result. As far as overall goes, I ended up 10th place in the C3, was only 3 or 4 minutes out of a gold medal. I am pumped with a silver medal since it was my first Six Days. I dropped no trail points, which was gnarly because of how gnarly the race was. Jeff Fredette said it was one of the top 5 hardest Six Days he has ever done.

At the beginning of Six Days I didn't know how to ride mud and slop, I do now. I learned a ton here from all the experienced riders that attend the event, these dudes are gnarly. It has been an experience of a lifetime, which has made me tougher, and taught me a lot. I appreciate all of your support, thanks for everything. You guys are the best,

"Main Jet" Max Gerston

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job Max!It has been fun watching the results daily.
JP miami

Jan Gerston said...

Max, your tenacity and perseverance are an inspiration. Marshall took a photos of you riding a wheelie through the entire transfer section. I could hardly believe it! I don't think any of us can appreciate the mental and physical toughness it took to just succeed, never mind excel, in this competition. Although you would probably have preferred to rest instead of writing these updates, your fans truly appreciate them, reading and rereadins. Your writing style captures the spirit of the day. Your family is tremendously pround of you! Congratulations!
Aunt Jan

Post a Comment