Thursday, October 27, 2011

Boise, Idaho Endurocross 2011

Well, the Boise Endurocross was an awesome weekend for me. Here is how it all went down. After a 16 hour drive with the one and only, Marshall Gerston, we arrive in Boise and get to our hotel for some sleep. We hopped out of bed early the next morning, expecting a long day of racing. We filled up on the continental breakfast, and headed off to the venue. The track was cool, it had a gnarly firepit section, complete with whole logs and pieces of trees, and it also had a long, slippery, jagged, sketchy, harry, gnarly rock section. This was one of the gnarliest rock sections of the year.
Practice went well, I was able to get a good flow. My bike was working great, and with some minor adjustments, the bike was perfect. I had set the second fastest time in my amateur group, right behind Eric Rhoten, which gave him first gate pick for the qualifier. In our qualifier I was able to get the jump, and hold the lead till the end. I was stoked. After that we had a quick practice race in the pro class, then it was time to chill. This is when they change the course, as they wet everything down, and make everything a little gnarlier. For the 3:00 practice I felt good, confident in my bike and my timing. After practice, it was time to relax until the night show. I had first gate pick for the amateur main, and I was ready to go. Right after the girl got done singing the star spangled banner, we fired up our bikes, and the amateur main was the first race of the night. I got a sweet start, getting a jump on Ian Blythe, and Eric Rhoten by just a hair. I got out in front, and looked forward. Eric was right on my ass, but I was able to stay in the lead for the whole three laps. I finally won an amateur main event!
Right after the main, I had my pro heat race. I was still tired from the amateur main, and I wasn't able to qualify in the top two. Next up, pro semi, only the winner of this race advances to the main event. I got a pretty good start, and worked my way up to second, right behind Gary Sutherlin. On the first lap, Gary bobbled in the rocks, and I snuck by him. I got out front, and held the lead for all 5 laps of the pro semi!! I was in the main event!
The next race I had was the Dash For Cash. This had all the fastest riders from the support classes. I was able to do an exact repeat of my amateur main, and pull the holeshot and run away with it. I ended up winning $500 from that race. Right after the Dash For Cash (and I mean right after) was the pro main event. I lined up right next to all the "Big Boys", it was awesome. Still worn out from the Dash For Cash and all my other races, I was pretty useless in the main, but I was still able to dice it out with the Big Boys. I came out with a tenth in the pro main event.
Thanks to my sponsors, Stillwell Performance, Rekluse Clutches, Klim gear, Eks Brand goggles, Topar protectin, and Hammer Nutrition for all of the support, I couldn't have done it without you guys. Thanks for reading,

"The Sheriff" Max Gerston

1 comment:

Waitress from Mensa said...

Max's helmet cam video from Boise: hold onto your armchairs! It's a wild ride. Three laps! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK3F9gJG87I

Post a Comment